Scroll down for a list of maths dice games-
On-line maths games can be a great support for children and parents, as they do help reinforce what they learn as well as consolidate maths facts. However, there comes a time when the traditional method of pen paper, dice games , playing cards and board games can be just as beneficial as games and sometimes more convenient and practical. Dice games are an economical but yet funway to learn many maths facts and develop maths skills such as adding, subtraction and multiplication. Invest in some large dice of various colours and start to play many exciting dice games. There are numerous games, from just adding three dice together to more sophisticated games such as the place value game. I use a score sheet for all these games, just a plain piece of paper with their names written on it will do. I use the large colourful dice below. They are good value for money and are sturdy and the children seem fascinated by them! Click on picture to view.
|Click image to view details
of Giant Dice
|Place Value Dice Game|
- Depending of the age of the children you can use 2 or 3 dice or even more.
- The player rolls the dice.
- They then put the digits together to make the highest number they can. For example if they roll a 4 and 5 – the highest number they can make is 54.
- The other player then does the same.
- The person with the highest total after three throws is the winner.
|Stop At 4 Dice Game|
- They will need two dice
- They can roll for as long as they like, but if they get a four they have to stop and pass the dice on to another person, but they keep all the points they have accumulated
- If they get a 2 they lose all the points that they have accumulated as well as pass to the next player.
- This is good for mental maths. As they have to add the digits as they go along. They can writie them down if it makes it easier for them.
They must roll a 6 to start. Everyone starts with the body.
I found my younger children could not draw a mouse! I printed out a picture of a mouse and they just copied over it. Hey, we just want to have fun!
4: This Game Has Many Names But I like Going To ‘Boston Dice Game’
|Boston Dice Game|
- It requires three dice.
- Roll all the dice and keep the one with the highest number.
- Roll the other two dice and again keep the one with the highest number.
- Then roll the final die and add that number to the other two numbers.
- Total up your score and pass to the next player.
- If a 2 or 5 are thrown you cannot count them , they become stuck in the mud.
- Your score has to be added without them. Example, you throw a 2, 3, 4, 1, 5. The total for this will only be 8 as you cannot count the 2 and the 5.
- The 2 and the 5 have to be taken out and the player continue to roll with the dice that are left. They continue as above. Removing the 2 and the 5 if they are thrown.
- They add their score as they go, but if they get a two or a five, these dice have to be removed.
- Once they have lost all their dice it is the turn of the next person.