Chicken Stew, with plantain and rice.
This is a quick recipe, the hardest part is cutting the chicken! Tasty Thursday is back!
I am always trying to get my boys to eat tomatoes. One way I have managed to do this is to make a healthy chicken stew with tomatoes as it’s main ingredients. The key to this chicken stew recipe is that the tomatoes are blended into a smooth juice and so everyone is happy. I get to include fresh herbs and sometimes I sneak in carrots and blend them with the tomato.
You might also like 300 Recipes For Grill
1 medium fresh chicken
2 Tins of tin tomatoes
2 cups of water
2 bay Leaves
One teaspoon of thyme
4 tablespoons Olive oil or nut oil
2 red onions
l large red sweet pepper
I teaspoon of curry powder
2 Garlic cloves
I scotch bonnet pepper- you can add this to you own once the stew is cooking down.
2/3 stock cubes – I use Maggi cubes or vegetable cubes
Seasoning for the chicken
- Wash and cut the chicken into to small pieces. You should be able to get 10 /12 pieces from a medium whole chicken. Skin the chicken.
- Season the chicken (season with fresh herbs , salt, pepper and curry powder) and place in the oven for 40 minutes. Turning after 20 minutes.
- Cut the onions, red pepper, water, tin tomatoes, garlic cloves and sweet red pepper and blend them together using a food blender.
- Use a deep pot of cover the bottom with oil. Let this heat up for a little while.
- Carefully pour the liquid into the pot, add the thyme, bay leaf, stock cubes and bring the liquid to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. **Be careful the hot oil can sometimes spit out. Keep it on the back fire for safety. At this stage you can separate your own if you want to add the scotch bonnet pepper – see below.
- When you chicken has finished cooking, add this to the pot and stir stew around. Leave to simmer for about 30 minutes.
If you want to add scotch bonnet – not for children too hot!-, you can either cut it in half , de-seed and separate your portion into another pot. You can also put the scotch bonnet in whole. Just make a small whole in it and place it in the stew. This way the stew will not be too peppery. I only use a little oil, if you require more, just drain off any that is at the top after you finish cooking.
Serve with boiled rice or fried plantain. See video below of how to make fried plantain. Start with hot oil and then turn it down so the plantain does not absorb too much oil. ENJOY!